Cinekid Directors Lab 2024 - Call for Applications
Every April, an international group of acclaimed directors with a film or series in late development gather in Amsterdam to focus on the final steps necessary before pre-production, and the specific skills needed to work with children. Directors follow a tailor-made programme with hands-on guidance from a team of internationally acclaimed directing coaches.
Rules and regulations can be found here.
Application deadline: January 7 2024.
Points of focus are:
- Preparing directors for the shooting script.
- Defining and underlining the individual director’s voice and style.
- Discovering the maximum potential of a scene.
- Directing actors - how to shift the focus to directing the character (not the actor) while guiding the actor through the very specific world of the film.
- Casting and directing child actors - how to establish a relationship of trust with the kid(s), and how to immerse yourself into the world of children, encouraging and guiding each child to develop their character through total engagement with their imagination.
Who can apply?
Cinekid Directors LAB is open to all directors attached to a feature-length film or television project aimed at children and written from their perspective. The project should be heading toward production, and a producer should be attached. Priority is with projects developed within Cinekid Script LAB or former participants of the Junior Co-production Market.
How to Apply
Projects can only be entered by submitting the following info in English via the entry form on Cinekid's website:
- A complete or steady draft of the feature-length screenplay.
- A logline and synopsis.
- A motivational letter addressing your interest in the programme and what you hope to gain by participating in Cinekid Directors LAB.
- An artistic statement describing your vision for the film.
- Project status and history.
- Finance– including total budget, in place financing, and financing plan.
- A link to previously directed work.
- Producer’s statement.
Cinekid Directors LAB is supported by the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme and is a collaboration between Cinekid for Professionals and three European institutes: the Norwegian Film Institute, the Netherlands Film Fund, and the Icelandic Film Centre.
For questions, kindly contact [email protected].